A while ago I wrote a blog post questioning a “health product” called Adya Clarity that was heavily promoted (in the raw food community and on Facebook). Unfortunately, when I looked at the patent application for the product, it didn’t look kosher to me. It eventually turned out that (among other issues) Adya Clarity contained 1200 ppm aluminum (which was not stated on the label). So now we have a slew of unsuspecting Adya Clarity users who need to detoxify aluminum (and possibly other metals) from their system!
Coriander & Chlorophyll Detox
Since most of us would only benefit from detoxifying our bodies from aluminum, lead, mercury, etc., I’m going to present a very simple (and tasty!) Way to achieve this. If you need a very serious detox, you can also add infrared saunas, chlorella, and spirulina to this detox regimen:
1. When you wake up, drink 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice in 1 cup of warm / hot water. Remember that lemon juice is acidic in the glass but becomes alkaline when consumed.
2. On an empty stomach (at any time of the day that is convenient for you), take 1 tablespoon of liquid chlorophyll in a glass of water, then eat 2 teaspoons of coriander pesto (recipe below). You can eat the coriander pesto with other foods – on top of crackers, baked potatoes, etc. – but I think it gets stronger when consumed on an empty stomach, at least 10-15 minutes before other foods.
3. Magnesium is also a powerful detoxifier and mineral that most people are deficient in. I wrote an extensive post on magnesium (types, absorption, etc) so you can refer to it for a lot more information. For our purposes here, take 2-3 tablespoons of QuikPlus (nano-size) magnesium per day. Because it is immediately absorbed into the bloodstream, it does not need to be digested and therefore does not cause diarrhea or loose stools.
Carry out this regimen for 3 – 4 weeks. If you need a more serious detox, ALSO take 1-2 teaspoons of Chlorella and 1-2 teaspoons of Spirulina mixed in 250 ml of liquid once a day. Mixing these with fruit in an Absorb Plus Shake or Whey Protein Shake really helps to disguise the taste.
Or use a ready-made, high-quality detox product like Floras FlorEssence Gentle Detox Tea – this is great because it is very mild in taste, is also safe for people with sensitive digestive systems and is still very effective. If your system is sensitive, start with a lower dose or only take it once a day and then build it up gradually. For myself, even if I only took it once a day, I could feel a positive difference.
Infrared saunas are also great for detox and many other benefits – but don’t overdo it if you are underweight as they usually result in weight loss.
The most delicious way I know of how to detoxify heavy metals is by using coriander (Chinese parseltongue). The serious detoxification ability of this herb has even been documented in PubMed: this study showed that after the removal of amalgam fillings and despite the usual holistic dentistry with rubber dam and proper ventilation and suction, mercury deposits occur that previously did not exist in all major organs of the body ( Lungs, kidneys, endocrine organs, liver and heart).
The mercury deposits were then successfully removed by ingesting 400 mg of Chinese parsley or coriander per day for about 4 weeks. Instead of taking a pill, here is an easy and tasty way to get the same detox power from cilantro (and other powerful detox foods):
Coriander chelated pesto
4 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup Brazil nuts (selenium)
1/3 cup sunflower seeds (cysteine)
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (zinc, magnesium)
2 cups of fresh coriander packed [also called coriander] (Vitamin A)
4 tbsp lemon juice (vitamin C)
2 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons of Dulse powder [or kelp powder/granules]2/3 cup of flaxseed oil [or Udo’s oil]Sea salt to taste
1. Finely chop the coriander, garlic, nuts, seeds, dulse, olive oil and lemon juice in a blender.
2. Then add linseed oil and a pinch of sea salt and blend at low speed (do not heat linseed oil) until the mixture is blended into a paste.
3. Store in the refrigerator, if possible in dark glasses.
* This pesto freezes well, so buy cilantro in season and fill enough glasses for the whole year. The coriander will turn dark green / brown in 4-5 days. So if you want to keep it looking super fresh, just keep a small supply in the refrigerator and freeze the rest to use as needed.
Coriander has been shown to chelate toxic metals from our body in a relatively short amount of time. Combined with the benefits of the other ingredients, this recipe makes a powerful fabric cleaner. This recipe was originally posted by “Muffet” on my Adya Clarity blog. She says that:
“Two teaspoons of this pesto a day for three weeks is said to be enough to increase the excretion of mercury, lead and aluminum in the urine, effectively removing these toxic metals from our bodies. We may consider doing this cleaning at least once a year for three weeks. Coriander is really a healing food. A friend who had high blood pressure from mercury poisoning had her blood pressure returned to normal after eating two teaspoons of this pesto a day for just a week. Regardless of whether you want to detoxify your body of heavy metals or just want to use them preventively, 2 teaspoons a day are sufficient. This pesto has become an integral part of my diet. Enjoy!”
I slightly modified the recipe from what was posted to add flax or udos oil (I use Udo’s) instead of just olive oil, as you’ll get the added benefits of omega-3s as well as evening primrose oil as well can – if you use Udo’s.
The pesto is also delicious on baked potatoes, pasta, drizzled over vegetables, in sandwiches or on toast or crackers and topped with goat cheese.
This way, you can continue to consume this pesto as part of your normal diet even after your detox. Four of my friends tried it and immediately asked for the recipe to go home and make their own! It really is that good. The picture above (out of focus – sorry!) Right below the recipe was taken in my kitchen so you can see what it looks like.
Changes in bowel movements
As you use this protocol, you may find that your bowel movements are changing – either they become looser or your bowel movements become harder. Remember, as it detoxifies, your body needs to eliminate toxins, so it is normal for this to result in changes in bowel function.
If your bowel movements become too loose, reduce the dosage for a while to help the detox process slower.
If your bowel movements become heavier, add magnesium citrate to your regimen – start with around 150 mg and work up to 1000 mg per day as needed. Also, don’t be surprised if you experience more fatigue or even other detox symptoms (headache, rash, nausea, etc.) that usually go away in 7-10 days. If you have a symptom that lasts longer, seek other treatment or see your naturopath.
Originally posted November 2012. Last updated April 2021.
Jini Patel Thompson is an internationally recognized expert in natural digestive disease healing. She healed herself from the widespread Crohn’s disease and has been drug and surgery free for over 20 years. Appeared on numerous podcast, television and radio shows in the US, UK, Canada and Australia, Jini gives people hope and visions on how to cure colitis, Crohn’s disease, diverticulitis and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in all natural methods. Her books on natural digestive disease cures have been sold in over 80 countries around the world.